Saturday, April 12, 2008

feeling of failure

So on Tuesday our air conditioner decided to take a nose dive on us. After 2 days of no air in sunny FL ,we had a friend of a friend stop by to take a look at it. Guess what?? Our unit is 27 yrs old and undersized for our house(which is against the law) and it is shot!! But the good news is we live in FL approaching the summer months and it's only $4,000.00 for a new unit! I don't even know how to deal with this but to give myself a pity laugh! It takes every dime we make now just to live in this house. Who ever came up with the saying,"Happy Home Owner",was a liar!
What makes it even worse is to see Avery wake up in a onesie with her cheeks bright red and looking like she just got out of a pool.And the boys constantly reminding us of how hot it is in our house.We have fans up in all the rooms but what good is a fan if it's just circulating hot air? Bobby and I both just broke down this morning,we both feel like such failures as parents.All the talk of saving money and building future financial security..HOW????? How does one do that while raising 3 kids??
After reading this back I can't help but to think of those kids on Idol Gives Back the other night,I know we are all so spoiled and I sound like an ungrateful brat but as a parent all we want to do is to give our kids more than we had as children. So because of my desire to be a great mom ,I feel like a failure!

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Ugh, ugh, and UGH!

You are not a failure. Not by any means. I think there is always something around the corner...it's life's way of not letting you get too comfortable.

Fill a big plastic pool up in the backyard and serve icee pops. It will eventually work out, and hopefully it will before you all melt.

Love you!

Angelle said...

That is such a hard situation. In spite of that, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! Being hot is not the end of their young lives. They have someone who loves them unconditionally and provides them with food and shelter. They are not homeless. You guys are doing everything you can and that is all that matters.

Rhiannon said...

Hey, at least it's not July. That's when my mom's ac broke last year (when we were living with her!!) It was so hot! She couldn't get it fixed for over a month! Good luck getting it fixed. You guys are welcome to come hang out in our ac anytime! I understand your pain!

LeShayne said...

Ditto Rhiannon - come visit if you need too. Crap happens - house problems, car problems, etc. That does not make you a bad mom at all...just another frustrated human. If it makes you feel any better I made it the first 14 years of my life without AC...and I dont think I turned out TOO bad. Hope it works out soon.

Todd Maddex said...

Of course, she was in freezing Minnesota...so who needs AC? Anyway, hope you guys work it out. Good luck!

p.s. Tell Bobby I said thanks for his help the other day at work. I didn't expect our careers would cross paths but they did! I haven't had the chance to work it all out yet but its on the schedule for next week.

Anonymous said...

You are not a failure, you are giving your kids a great childhood with a mom who is there...
Steve and I are trying to pay off debt before we start having kids and as fast as we can pay anything off tax bills come due or the car breaks down....

I suppose we could have 0 social life and eat lunch meat every night for dinner but I still don't think we'd get ahead and I don't think we're extravagant in any way... it's hard...but you are doing a great job!!